THE 2015 HOLT MEDALLION CONTEST
WILL OPEN FOR ENTRIES ON DECEMBER 1, 2014
Please check back then for updated rules and entry form.
The Virginia Romance Writers Chapter
of the Romance Writers of America®
is pleased to announce
the 19th Annual HOLT Medallion Competition
for the best romantic fiction of 2013
Entries will be received between December 1, 2013 through January 31, 2014
Winners and Merit recipients will be announced on June 14th at the June meeting of the Virginia Romance Writers
Winners and Merit recipients will also appear in a full page ad in
Romance Writers Report and RTBook Reviews magazine
All entry forms must be submitted and entry fees paid prior to shipment of books. Once you have submitted your entry form and payment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from the HOLT Contest Coordinator with instructions for shipping and/or e-mailing your books to the appropriate contest coordinator.
- Entries must be a single work of romance fiction, with an original copyright date (not a release date) of January-December 2013, regardless of format (e-book or print).
||A book with a copyright date of 2013 but with a print or e-book release date of 2014 IS eligible for this year's contest.
||A book with a copyright date of 2012 but with a print or e-book release date of 2013 IS NOT eligible for this year's contest.
||A re-issue or re-release with an original copyright date other than 2013 IS NOT eligible for this contest.
- Author does not need to be a member of RWA® and the publisher need not be listed as RWA® eligible. Self-published books are eligible.
- Entries are limited to the first 40 submitted in each category, for a total of 440 entries for the entire contest (not including Best First Book and Best Book by a Virginia Author). Once the 40 entry limit is reached in a category, that category will be closed to further entries. Notice of when a category is full will be indicated on the website under the category listings below and the category selection will no longer be available on the entry form.
Once a category is filled, a book MAY NOT be entered in an alternate category (i.e. A Short Inspirational may not be entered in the Short Contemporary category.)
- The Contest Committee reserves the right to add or drop categories,
depending on the number of entries received.
- The Contest Committee reserves the right to place a book in a different
category from which it was entered.
- The Contest Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry,
if rules are not fully met.
- Entry in the HOLT Medallion contest constitutes agreement by the
author to conform to all contest rules, abide by the decision of the
judges, and hold blameless Virginia Romance Writers, the HOLT Medallion
Contest Coordinators, and all judges.
- VRW members in good standing (as of July 1, 2013) may enter one (1)
book in one (1) category, free of charge. Normal fees apply to additional
- Registration, payment and books must be received at the category coordinator's address
on or before January 31, 2014.
- Once an entry is accepted to the contest, there will be no refund.
- Books entered in categories 1-11 may also be entered in the Bonus Categories: Best First Book and/or Best Book by a Virginia Author. No book may be entered in more than three (3) categories, with
the Bonus Categories being the 2nd and/or 3rd category.
- Judges are romance readers. Each book will be scored by at least 3 judges.
- Single round judging will establish top five entries in each category.
Entry with highest score will be named as category winner; next four
placing entries (in no specific order) will be named Awards of Merit.
- Scores will not be disclosed.
- Winner will receive certificate and pewter HOLT Medallion. Merit
recipients each will receive a certificate.
- Contest results (all or in part) will be published in RTBook Reviews and Romance Writers Report.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Books may be submitted in either print
or e-book format.
||For Print Entries: Author must enclose four (4) copies of each book entered. Please autograph your books - this means a great deal to our
|Priority Mail or courier-type shipping of entries is recommended,
but not required. A package tracking number is highly recommended. DO NOT send the package signature required.
|For E-Book Entries: E-books may be e-mailed as attachments to the HOLT Coordinator. All e-books must be provided in Mobi, ePub AND PDF formats (non-DRM). Do not e-mail e-books until you have been contacted by the HOLT Coordinator and asked to do so.
E-book entries are limited to the first 100 e-book entries accepted, after which only print books will be accepted. Notice of when the e-book limit has been reached will be indicated on the website here and the e-book format selection will no longer be available on the entry form.
*E-book submissions have reached the maximum amount and are now closed. Only print book entries are being accepted at this time.*
|E-books are encouraged for international entries. Print books may be shipped directly to the contest coordinator from either the publisher or an on-line book seller (such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble, etc.) to save shipping time and costs. These books do not need to be autographed.
- After entry form and payment is received, the entrant will be contacted by the HOLT Coordinator with instructions for shipping and/or e-mailing of books to the appropriate contest coordinator.
- Books will not be returned.
- Complete an entry form for each book entered. Photocopied
entry forms are acceptable.
- Entry fee is $30 per book/category. Payment can be made via check,
money order, or PAYPAL. Make checks payable to VRW.
- E-mail will be used to send confirmation of receipt of entry. If
you do not have e-mail, enclose a #10 SASE for contest committee use
to confirm receipt of your entry.
Each category is limited to the first 40 entries submitted in each category, for a total of 440 entries for the entire contest (not including Best First Book and Best Book by a Virginia Author). Once the 40 entry limit is reached in a category, that category will be closed to further entries. Notice of when a category is full will be indicated on the website under the category listings below and the category selection will no longer be available on the application form.
Once a category is filled, a book MAY NOT be entered in an alternate category (i.e. a Short Inspirational may not be entered in the Short Contemporary category).
- Historical *closed to entries*
Romance set in any period prior to and including World War
- Mainstream/Single Title Contemporary
Contemporary romance of approximately 90,000+ words; not series/category
- Long Contemporary
Contemporary romance of 65,000 words or more. Includes series/category
- Short Contemporary *closed to entries*
Contemporary romance of 40,000-65,000 words. Includes series/category
- Paranormal/Time Travel/Futuristic/Fantasy *closed to entries*
Romance in which the future, a fantasy world, or paranormal/supernatural
happenings are a major element of the plot. Includes single-title
releases or books published within established series/category
romance lines, and may represent any sub-genre listed herein.
- Romantic Suspense
Romance in which the suspense is a major
element of the plot. Includes all sub-genres.
Romance featuring intense sexuality. May include graphic
content and/or explicit language, regardless of sub-genre.
Includes romantica and erotica. May be set in any place or
- Long Inspirational *closed to entries*
Romantic novels of 65,000+ words, in which one or more characters'
religious or spiritual beliefs (in the context of any religion
or spiritual belief system) are a major part of the developing
relationship, not merely a minor element or subplot. May be
set in any place or era.
- Short Inspirational
Romantic novels between 40,000-65,000 words, in which one
or more characters' religious or spiritual beliefs (in the
context of any religion or spiritual belief system) are a
major part of the developing relationship, not merely a minor
element or subplot. May be set in any place or era.
- Novel with Strong Romantic Elements
Novels in which the romance plays a
part in the book but is not the
main focus of the novel. There
may or may not be a traditional
happily ever after ending. (ex.
urban fantasy, women's fiction,
historical fiction, etc.). Includes all sub-genres. May be set in any place or era.
- Romance Novella
Short romances of less
than 40,000 words. May be included
in an anthology with different
authors whose stories will not be
judged. Includes all sub-genres. May be set in any place or era.
- Best First Book
Includes entries from all categories listed herein, representing
an author's first published book in either print or electronic format. This also applies to all
members of a collaborative writing team (i.e. this must be the first book for all co-authors). The book must also be entered in another category. The scores from that category will be used to determine the winner and merit recipients in the Best First Book category. There is a $5 additional fee to have a book considered for Best First Book.
- Best Book by a Virginia Author
Author must be a current, full-time resident of Virginia. The book must also be entered in another category. The scores from that category will be used to determine the winner and merit recipients in the Best Book by a Virginia Author category. There is no additional fee to have a book considered for Best Book by a Virginia Author.
Click here for the 2014 HOLT Medallion Contest Entry Form
E-mail any questions
Updated Nov. 26, 2014
About the HOLT